The Train Cars History
The Pullman Car The Pullman Coach was built for the Colorado and Southern Railroad and ran exclusively for them as car number 544 until its retirement. Constructed in 1905, it was one of the last plush wooden coaches and served as a chair car. Although it started out with a wooden undercarriage, it was outfitted with a steel one in 1922. Its last official ride was the Denver to Louisville route in 1970, when it was retired. For awhile the car sat near Highway 36 as part of a larger property, and then was moved to Nederland in 1975. While it sat, its beautiful stained glass windows became a potential target for vandals. However, a large colony of bees had taken up residence in it, and in the process of stealing some windows the thieves were swarmed, and ran screaming from the scene and so the bees saved the rest of the windows for posterity.
The Circus Car The Circus Car was originally built and used as a railway post office car as car number 27 in 1872 by the Union Pacific Railroad and traveled on the Union Pacific Denver and Gulf Railroad. It is one of the standard gauge cars from that time, and was never reconfigured with steel. Sells-Floto acquired the car to replace one which was accidently burned up during a repainting stop in the Colorado and Southern Railroad Denver Shop. This car then became Car Number Two of a set of three advanced advertising cars for the circus, which would arrive in towns a few days before the circus, covered with signs promoting Sells-Floto. Much of this car remains original.
The Caboose This caboose was built in 1910 for the Colorado & Southern Railroad, originally car number 242. It is among the last cabooses to feature an all wooden curved ceiling—the end of an era, as later models had flat ceilings . It was involved in an accident in Larkspur, Colorado in 1920, and rebuilt in 1921. Then this accident prone caboose, while sitting in Rice Yard, became a victim of the devastating South Platte Flood of 1965, when much of Littleton and Denver were submerged in rushing water. It was retired shortly thereafter, and taken to the town of Wall Street, Colorado before it was moved to Nederland. It featured, during its time of operation, sleeping bunks for 8 men, a stove and coal box, lockers, a desk and a cooler. Its total weight is 37,800 lbs.